Thursday, June 3, 2010

Spanish horrors!

My roommate is half Mexican half white and she speaks not a word of Spanish unless its a bad word! I'm sitting here in the MSS office trying to help her with her Spanish HW and I honestly have no clue on some of these words. I've spoken Spanish all my life, it was my first language but I'm just as confused as she is on some of this. I guess I just never learned the proper Spanish, you could compare it to British English and American English, as similar as they are in some aspects they're very different in others. I know slang Spanish lol! So this goes out to my mother, thanks mommy for not teaching me the proper Spanish and letting me go throughout life thinking my Spanish was good! I guess I'll never stop learning...

6 comments:

Andy said...

You're better off than me. I had to drop Spanish 1 before failing it. I've gotta take it again this fall. :(
I do work with several bi-lingual people. They also say the classroom teaches the formal Spanish that is a bit odd in everyday use. Especially as most of the Spanish only crowd in Oklahoma speaks "hill-billy spanish". lol. He also said that people from Spain sound like they have a lisp, and people from South America tend to sing it at you.
Interesting stuff.

Roselie said...

He completely correct... I love hearing south americans speak spanish, it so pretty! I think I should be offended about the hill-billy comment but its so true it funny!! My spanish is just that hill-billy but hey I can speak to any spanish speaking person and they understand me just fine so I guess im good!! LOL If you need help with ur spanish, holla! However im sure after this post you'll think twice about asking!! HAHAHA

Kyndel said...

I love your disclaimer at the top of your blog!

Roselie said...

lol I had to, my spelling is really bad! As much as I read you'd think it would be great but no, i just wasn't blessed with that talent! :(

An Airman's Princess said...

THIS IS FUNNY, EVERYONE ALWAYS THINKS I KNOW SPANISH AND ALWAYS STARTS TALKING TO ME IN IT! UNFORTUNATLY I DON'T. MY PARETNS ARE FLUENT AND MY OLDER BROTHER, BUT YES I ONLY KNOW ENOUGH TO GET MYSELF IN TROUBLE : ( IM TAKING A SPANISH CLASS THIS SUMMER AND HOPEFULLY DON'T FAIL! PS. I LOVE YOUR L-O-N-G EYELASHES!!!

Roselie said...

Awe thank you very much! Where are your parents from! I always get that im indian, i dont see it but i guess ppl do!